We recommend viewing this page on a desktop pc-laptop or tablet for a better viewing experience.

Construction is underway, with additional pages being added across the line.

Follow our social media accounts for updates.

To navigate the route, please refer to the navigational list provided below, which corresponds to each section of the route.

Alternatively, you may continue scrolling beyond the navigation list to explore the historical significance of the Lynn Hunstanton line, complete with comprehensive Google Map coverage.

  • Home-History

  • King’s Lynn to North Wootton

  • North Wootton to Wolferton

  • Wolferton to Dersingham

  • Dersingham to Snettisham

  • Snettisham to Heacham

  • Heacham to Hunstanton

  • Hunstanton Terminus


King’s Lynn to Hunstanton Railway

Great Eastern Railway

1862–1969

King’s Lynn To Hunstanton Railway History

In 1846, two railway lines were simultaneously constructed: one connecting King’s Lynn to Ely and another from King’s Lynn to Dereham, which was initially opened as far as Narborough. Remarkably, the Narbrough-Dereham and Ely lines were inaugurated on the same day. The Lynn Dereham railway was finally completed and officially opened to Dereham in 1848.

When King’s Lynn station first opened, it was reportedly constructed as a Woodon Building. However, the history of this old station building is quite limited.

The Lynn Ely line had a junction built at Watlington known then as Magdalen Road connecting up to the fenland towns of Wisbech and March this line opened in 1847. Also in 1857 a station at Wells next to sea on the North Norfolk coast had opened connecting up to Fakehmam and Dereham.

Henry Le Strange envisioned Hunstanton 16 miles from King’s Lynn as a seaside resort for holidaymakers. He recognized the need for a railway line to facilitate travel to the town of Hunstanton during its early development. At this time, Hunstanton was merely a small village with a population of approximately 500 individuals. By 1846, Henry Le Strange had already constructed an inn overlooking the Norfolk coast, this was later to be known as the Golden Lion Hotel. Still, it was evident that Hunstanton could not achieve its potential as a thriving coastal resort without a reliable railway transportation link. Consequently, Henry Le Strange initiated planning for a railway in the 1840s, and in 1861, the Lynn and Hunstanton Railway business was officially incorporated.

In the autumn of 1861, following the commencement of the summer harvest work on the line started, with the majority of the line staked out and the first sod cut by the Mayor of King’s Lynn late that year, John Sutherland Valentine assumed the role of lead engineer on the project. Valentine was also significantly involved in the construction of both the Lynn Ely line and the Lynn Dereham line.

The 15-mile-long route was relatively straightforward

(The 15-mile marker was situated just at the end of Hunstanton platforms)

The Lynn to Hunstanton line had a relatively straightforward route with minimal crossings and very few small river crossings along its length. Notably, the line also lacked bridges throughout its entire length, except for a single small cutting near Snettisham the line was very simple to construct. This was because the line traversed a relatively gentle gradient through Norfolk’s renowned flatlands.

Consequently, the line successfully passed its board of trade inspection in September 1862. The Lynn to Hunstanton railway was born serving.

King’s Lynn

North Wootton

Wolferton

Dersingham

Snettisham

Heacham

Hunstanton

The cost of the line was 80,000 pounds, and it was constructed within its budget and completed in a record ten months. Regrettably though, Henry Le Strange passed away in July 1862 before the line’s opening, never having the opportunity to witness his railway in operation. On Friday, October 3, 1862, the line commenced operations as a single-track railway, with passing points at stations along its route.

The inaugural day of operation was said to have seen three trains running in each direction at 9:05 a.m., 12:25 p.m., and 3:25 p.m. Return workings were scheduled at 10:20 a.m., 2:00 p.m., and 4:45 p.m.

In February 1862, the Sandringham estate was purchased by the royal family for a young Prince of Wales who would one day become King Edward VII, in 1901 he took the role of King Edward VII. Sandringham House, situated approximately two miles away, this made Wolferton the closest station to the newly established royal residence. Rumours circulated that the royal family had contributed to the expansion of Wolferton to accommodate a grand royal welcome. In 1879, another station, Hillington, opened near Sandringham on the Lynn Fakenham railway and competed for the royal trains. Despite this, Wolferton continued to be the preferred Royal station.

A proposed extension to the line towards Wells Next to Sea was initially conceived as a coastal route that would run across the green down past the coast towards Holme then turn off at Brancaster and proceed towards Wells. However, this plan never materialized due to opposition from local businesses who opposed the railway running along the coast and across Hunstanton Green. Additionally, Henry Le Stranges’ widow opposed the idea. Consequently, an extension was opened in 1866, leaving from Heacham and heading towards Wells for the 18 1/4 mile route. This line was to be called the West Norfolk Branch.

In 1871, Robert Skipper of Dereham constructed a new brick station at King’s Lynn, replacing the old wooden structure. This magnificent building still stands today in the town centre.

In 1876, the Lynn Fakenham Railway Company received Royal Assent, and the Lynn Fakenham line opened in 1879. This line departed from the Lynn Hunstanton branch line at a junction in Gaywood, approximately 1.5 miles from King’s Lynn. Subsequently, the line traversed the Gaywood River, and was followed by Grimston Road and Hillington stations, Hillington was situated near Sandringham, as previously mentioned. The Lynn Fakenham Railway Company at one point proposed the construction of a new station at Austin Street in King’s Lynn. The proposed railway line would originate from the Lynn Fakenham Railway, cross over the Lynn Hunstanton line, and then use a new junction near Salters Road in King’s Lynn. From there, it would utilize the docks railway line and use a new short line section before terminating at a new station at Austin Street in King’s Lynn. Regrettably, this ambitious plan never came to fruition, and the railway line remained unused.

Back at Hunstanton in 1876, the Hunstanton and West Norfolk Railway Company constructed the Sandringham Hotel at the station’s terminus. Two years later in 1878, the Hunstanton Pier was also built on the Green adjacent to the station Hunstanton was slowly growing. 

The Gaywood Junction, which served as the connection between the Lynn Fakenham line and the Lynn Hunstanton Railway, had a relatively short lifespan. In 1886, a new line was constructed and opened, diverting the Lynn Fakenham railway at Bawsey towards South Lynn via the newly constructed Lynn Avoiding Line. This new line necessitated the construction of a new station at Gayton Road and also South Lynn station, This connected the Lynn Fakenham Railway and the Lynn Sutton Bridge Railway. Initially, this railway was known as the Eastern and Midland Railway but later became the Midland and Great Northern Railway. The short section of the railway at Gaywood Junction was retained for excursions and diversionary purposes but remained unused and was subsequently removed freeing up space on the then single-lined Hunstanton route.

The Lynn avoiding line also freed up space at King’s Lynn. In its early days, services ran to Ely, Cambridge, and London via March and Wisbech. Additionally, there were services to Fakenham, Sutton Bridge, Dereham, Hunstanton, and the Docks freight railway taking away services to Sutton Bridge and Fakenham from King’s Lynn.

A small section of the Lynn Sutton Bridge line was retained and repurposed near South Lynn station as a junction that connected the Lynn Ely line to the current M&GN railway network. This enabled shuttle trains between South Lynn and the main King’s Lynn station and allowed excursion trains from the M&GN to access the Hunstanton branch via Kings Lynn’s main station. Ely West Curve, laid in on October 1, 1890, enabled freight trains from the Midlands and the north to run directly onto the King’s Lynn and Norwich lines in the down direction, bypassing Ely station. Subsequently, it became increasingly used later by passenger trains, particularly holiday expresses to the Norfolk coast, including Hunstanton.

In 1890 the line was sold off by the directors of the Lynn Hunstanton railway with one factor being the loss of Gaywood Junction and the ages of the directors now reaching their older years in 1890 the railway was brought and run by the Great Eastern Railway Company with the Sandringham hotel also now being owned by the Great Eastern Railway Company.

The Great Eastern Railway company quickly extensively promoted its railway services with numerous day excursions from London Liverpool Street. These excursions included various services, such as a restaurant car onboard, allowing passengers to enjoy a meal during their journey to the Norfolk coast from London. The approximately three-hour trip offered a convenient and enjoyable way to explore the Norfolk coast.

However, by the 1900s, North Wootton and Wolferton and the line had been altered somehow. In the 1890s, the risk of running a royal train along a single line was not seen as practical, so the line between King's Lynn and Wolferton along the six-and-a-half-mile route was doubled.

The rebuilding of both North Wootton and Wolferton stations was completed in 1898. Wolferton was designed by William Neville Ashbee (1852–1919), a renowned architect of the Great Eastern Railway. Additionally, W.N. Ashbee was responsible for the design of London Liverpool Street and Norwich Thorpe stations, which now is collectively known as Norwich Station.

Wolferton was given a Tudor look like no other station along the line or indeed the whole railway network across the United Kingdom. including the royal waiting rooms with one of the station buildings having an impressive clock tower proudly on its roof. Both platforms had Great Eastern canopies and even the station lamps platform lamps were topped with miniature crowns. At Wolferton when a Royal service arrived railway personnel stationed themselves along the track, utilizing markers or lamps to guide the driver to a precise stop, ensuring a warm welcome for the Royals at Wolferton, where they would be treated to a red carpet ceremony. Royal trains employed hand-picked staff members, and royal services were prioritized over other passenger or freight operations in numerous instances. In some cases, a pilot engine was dispatched ahead of the royal service to inspect the route for any obstructions. One of the biggest challenges faced by royal trains was the need to reverse at Kings Lynn. To address this issue, a separate engine was connected to the service at the opposite end and took the service that had arrived from London towards Wolferton. Its said that trains usually remained at King’s Lynn for roughly three minutes whilst a different locomotive that was waiting was attached to the Royal carriages. The London-bound engine had a crew based in Cambridge or London, while the King’s Lynn to Wolferton section usually had local Lynn to Hunstanton staff members operating the short ten-minute stretch to Wolferton.

Even though London Liverpool Street was operated by the Great Eastern Railway Company, all royal workings departed from London St Pancras.

Between 1884 and 1911, 645 Royal trains used Wolferton station

Prince Albert Victor the Duke of Clarence fell ill in the pandemic of 1889–1892. He developed pneumonia and died at Sandringham House in Norfolk on 14 January 1892, less than a week after his 28th birthday. His body was taken away by train from Wolferton to Windsor. Marking the first royal family members’ body to be carried away from Wolferton by train.

In 1902, Wolferton was fortunate to escape a fire that originated from a suspected cigar butt igniting the interior of the royal suite. Fortunately, there was no structural damage, although the oak panelling within the suite sustained significant damage.

1914-1918 World War I

During World War One, the line carried soldiers and sailors in addition to fewer slower-speed passenger services. One of the line’s problems was that the enemy zeppelins could follow the line from the coast to King’s Lynn, Wolferton, and Sandringham. Many said that the royal household at Sandringham was always a target during the war. Once World War I was over holiday traffic soon returned to pre-war levels, the world changed, and more working-class families began using the line than its former high-class clientele. One notable change was the end of some all-year-round London services, which were discontinued after the war. In 1922, these services were only offered during the summer months. After World War I, the railways were left sadly in a deplorable state, receiving no assistance with the coal strike of 1920 to 1921. As an alternative, a nationalization plan was proposed, which involved merging smaller railway companies into four major national companies. The Great Eastern Line was to be integrated into the London and North Eastern Railway, commonly referred to as the LNER.

In the summer of 1922, Hunstanton station faced a significant threat from a massive fire. At one point, the flames encroached upon the nearby Sandringham hotel, forcing the residents to evacuate their rooms. Fortunately, the wind carried the flames away from the buildings, preventing a complete loss.

In the early 20th century, holiday pay was introduced, making Hunstanton a more attractive destination for holidaymakers from all walks of life. This influx of visitors brought the Lynn to Hunstanton railway its most successful years, with up to 14 workings a day.

On a Sunday in 1922, only two return services were operated. By 1933, the frequency of Sunday services had increased to nine each way. By 1939, there were ten workings, with additional services being provided during the peak season. A significant number of passengers utilized the Midland and Great Northern Railway (M&GN) system, which connected at South Lynn to the M&GN line. Other services utilized the line via Magdalen Road, off the Lynn Ely line, and then towards March. These connections enhanced access to other cities such as Peterborough, Leicester, and Nottingham, as well as nearby Cromer, Great Yarmouth, and Sheringham, via the M&GN system via Melton Constable.

Operating services towards Hunstanton from King’s Lynn caused significant logistical challenges due to the necessity of all services to reverse direction at King’s Lynn and travel primarily along a single line towards the coast. Consequently, each incoming excursion train was typically taken to Hunstanton by the preceding service. Upon the train’s reversal, it would proceed to the next service bound for the Norfolk coast. After the day’s operations concluded, the system was reversed, enabling locomotives to prepare in advance of their services to retrieve their original rake of coaches for their return journey to the designated destination. The trains along the West Norfolk branch never interfered with the Hunstanton line services because it had its dedicated bay platform and continued to operate its four trains each way.

In 1925, another royal funeral train departed Wolferton, this time carrying Queen Alexandra, who had resided at Sandringham since her marriage to the then Prince of Wales. On November 26th, her coffin was transported to London aboard a LNER Claude Hamilton engine, adorned with the initials “AA” in golden letters. The coffin was carried in a black hearse coach.

This November, the winter had set in, and the weather was snowing heavily. Consequently, significant precautions were taken to prevent the Claude engine wheels from slipping in the winter snow.

In 1936, another royal funeral took place at Wolferton, this time for King George V.

In December 1935, the entire Royal family gathered at Sandringham, which the King considered his true home. Tragically, in January 1936, the King fell ill and passed away just three days later.

On January 23rd, the King’s body was taken from Sandringham to Wolferton, from St. Mary Magdalene Church at Sandringham.

Accompanying the body were the King’s family and his favourite horse jockey. Upon arrival at Wolferton, a ten-carriage Claude Hamilton engine patiently waited at the platform, prepared to transport the coffin to London. Upon reaching King’s Lynn, the Claude engine had fulfilled its duty, and the coffin and the train were taken to London King’s Cross by a B17 Sandringham 4-6-0 locomotive.

A crew change was also made at King’s Lynn.

Numerous individuals lined the track to pay their respects to the deceased King.

In 1937 Hunstanton saw tremendous growth due to the railway, also in 1937, Hunstanton had four platforms some were lengthened to carry longer trains in the summer months they were lengthened to 770ft long, station buildings and canopies were also upgraded as well and the carriage sidings.

At Heacham the passing loop was upgraded to allow for 13-carriage-long services to pass here During its peak, trains could have been running at ten-minute intervals during the busy summer months with direct trains from London and trains from the Midland Great Northern joint railway.

World War II 1939-1945

Sadly in 1939, the United Kingdom was plunged into World War II, leading to the cessation of pleasure trips and the implementation of blackout precautions. White lines were painted along the platforms to prevent individuals from falling onto the tracks. Station and road signs were removed, and government-installed signs inquired about the necessity of journeys. Fortunately, the Hunstanton Branch and the West Norfolk lines remained unscathed during the war, despite the damage inflicted on King’s Lynn town by raids. Some armoured military trains have been said to have used both the Lynn Hunstanton and the Heacham to Wells West Norfolk branch at some points during the War.

Following the conclusion of World War II in 1945, the railways played a pivotal role in restructuring Norfolk and the nation.

Once again, the United Kingdom experienced a period of peace. In 1945, Clement Attlee was elected with a Labour government, and one of his campaign promises was to nationalize the railway network.

At midnight on December 31, 1947, locomotives across the country sounded their whistles, symbolizing the end of private ownership of the railway network.

On January 1, 1948, British Railways was officially established.

During the late 1940s and early 1950s, rail traffic returned to its pre-war levels. However, cars and cheaper foreign holidays had yet to become widely available. The British public, after the war, sought normality and continued to utilize their annual holiday at British seaside resorts. Hunstanton, in particular, experienced a resurgence, with up to 20 services per day operating. The double section between King’s Lynn and Wolferton was utilized as a one-way system in the morning and reversed in the evening for return trips.

Many of these services were provided by the Midland and Great Northern Railway (M&GN) or from London and March via the Junction at Magdalen Road. These services stopped only at Heacham and Hunstanton, refraining from making stops at North Wootton, Wolferton, Dersingham, or Snettisham.

On February 6, 1952, King George VI passed away at Sandringham after a long illness. His body was subsequently transported to Wolferton for the final time in a gun carriage pulled by six horses.

A royal salute was accorded upon the entry of the late king’s coffin into the grounds of Wolferton. The procession was accompanied by the now Queen Elizabeth II (1952-1922), The Queen Mother, her sister, Princess Margaret, and the Duke of Edinburgh Prince Philip.

A Class B17 locomotive carried the royal train to King’s Lynn, where a Britannia class Pacific locomotive took the late king’s body to London, where he was laid to rest.

This unknown at the time marked the last of the royal funeral train journeys from Wolferton.

In 1952, the Hunstanton line remained active and prosperous. However, the West Norfolk branch exhibited no signs of growth following the war. The stations were situated at considerable distances from the village population, British Railways (BR) decided to close this underperforming line to passengers in June 1952. Consequently, the line was left open for freight use only.

1953 disaster once again struck the Norfolk coast with the great floods of 53.

On the night of January 31st, the Norfolk coastline experienced flooding between Hunstanton and Heacham, causing damage to the line. Both Dersingham and Wolferton stations were reportedly affected by floodwater damage. Notably, King’s Lynn town was also flooded, while the station in King’s Lynn appeared to have been spared substantial damage.

The railway line was subsequently closed until late February to repair the damage caused at Heacham and Hunstanton. Furthermore, the section between King’s Lynn and Wolferton sustained damage in the marshes, leading to the suspension and diversion of Royal services to the nearby Hillington station. The West Norfolk Branch sustained significant damage between Holkham and Wells. Consequently, this section of the line was deemed impractical for freight-only operations. As a result, the line was demolished after Burnham Market, with a buffer stop installed just outside Burnham Market.

In the early 1950s, the Hunstanton branch had experienced its busiest time. However, the scene was about to undergo significant changes. In May 1958, a comprehensive report was finalized by British Railways. The report concluded that the entire M&GNJR was operating at a loss. Consequently, South Lynn station was closed in 1959, severing all connections to the M&GN network. This decision resulted in the discontinuation of numerous summer special trains. The Hunstanton Branch line incurred substantial financial losses due to a big drop in passenger numbers.

From 1960, many through services from London Liverpool Street were discontinued. Consequently, mostly diesel multiple-unit trains were employed between King’s Lynn and Hunstanton. This change necessitated holidaymakers with their luggage and children to transfer services at King’s Lynn to a smaller dmu service. This manoeuvre liberated main line stock for London services. However, this decision deterred numerous passengers from using the railways for their journeys to the Norfolk coast.

During the 1960s, the British rail network experienced significant challenges, primarily due to the appointment of Dr Beeching to investigate non-profitable lines across the network.

In 1964 freight services stopped along the King’s Kynn Hunstanton line.

The rise in car ownership exacerbated the situation, leading to the discontinuation of numerous through Hunstanton services by 1966.

However, the Hunstanton Line received a glimmer of hope when the controversial Beeching report was released in March 1963 (titled “The Reshaping of British Railways”). This report recommended the retention of the Hunstanton line, along with the King’s Lynn to Dereham line. Saying the Hunstanton branch was making a profit. The report though recommended the closure of the Wells to Dereham line.

The initial report identified 2,363 stations and 5,000 miles of railway line for closure, representing 55% of stations, 30% of route miles, and the loss of approximately 67,700 British Rail jobs.

This report, known as “The Beeching Axe,” had a profound impact on the British rail network, leading to significant changes and closures.

It has been argued that British railways, which primarily accounted for tickets, provided inaccurate readings. This disregarded tickets issued from starting points such as London or Cambridge, rather than counting only those issued along the line itself, including stations like King’s Lynn, Hunstanton, or the immediate coastal stations. Consequently, these figures only represented a quarter of passengers using the line, providing a compelling argument for the line’s closure.

This was deliberately misrepresented to suggest that stations like Wolferton and Hunstanton never contributed to the overall passenger volume, even though these stations were as integral to the journey as Cambridge or Liverpool Street in London, where the tickets had been purchased.

For instance, if a ticket from London to Hunstanton was purchased at London Liverpool Street station, rather than at Hunstanton station. Consequently, this ticket purchase is not included in the ticket sales accounts for the Hunstanton line only for London Liverpool Streets figures seriously misleading passenger figures for the Hunstanton line.

Upon assuming office, a new government with a less anti-railway stance presided over the closure of approximately 2,050 miles of railways. Barbara Castle implemented her portion of the Beeching closure of several lines and introduced the first Government rail subsidies for socially necessary but unprofitable railways in the Transport Act 1968. Many of these lines were subsequently designated as basic railways including both the Hunstanton branch and the Dereham branch.

The Lynn Hunstanton line was one of the first lines in the United Kingdom to undergo a basic railway conversion. The double line between Wolferton and King’s Lynn was reduced to a single line, and intermediate stations had their passing loops removed.

All stations along the line became unstaffed.

Hunstanton’s sidings and carriage storage siding were removed, eliminating any possibility of through services resuming. A sole platform remained, surrounded by an empty, desolate, and haunting yard.

In 1940, the Sandringham Hotel was requisitioned by the British Army and subsequently sold to the Hunstanton Council in 1945. The ground floor was transformed into a library, while the remaining hotel was repurposed as accommodation, and rented out to the Royal Air Force (RAF) and the United States Air Force (USAF).

A portion of the hotel served as a bar until approximately 1965 when the hotel was closed. In 1967, the Sandringham Hotel was demolished, marking the removal of one of the pioneering structures from the railway era.

In 1967, the railway became one of the pioneering rural lines in the United Kingdom one of the first to implement automatic electric barriers. This automation rendered the manual closure of gates obsolete, resulting in an installation cost of approximately £25,000. This development instilled hope among the local community that their line would continue to operate.

The absence of passing loops and crossing gates phased out signal boxes. Diesel multiple units were now operating on a single line, utilizing a single line key from May 1967

The line operated independently, lacking booking offices. Tickets were exclusively issued by train guards, and they could only be purchased for destinations between King’s Lynn and Hunstanton. Consequently, travellers intending to visit Cambridge or London had to purchase additional tickets at King’s Lynn, extending the travel time and potentially increasing costs. This practice discouraged frequent use of the railway, as joint ticket discounts were not available. 

Rumours began circulating in King’s Lynn and Hunstanton and the intermediate villages that the railway would be closing down.

The Lynn to Dereham railway had already been closed on Saturday, the 7th of September 1968 after
 120 years of service

It was said that one of the main reasons that the King’s Lynn to Hunstanton railway was not on Dr Beeching’s list was due to Wolferton being a Royal station.

In Wolferton, some parts of the royal rooms on the unused platform were being auctioned off, and the royal waiting rooms were to be offered for sale to the then Queen Elizabeth II.

However, the Queen declined the offer, stating that the station at King’s Lynn would now become the Royal railway station, effectively ending the future of the King’s Lynn to Hunstanton Railway line.

This decision provided British Railway with a perfect justification to close the railway. Despite investing in electric barriers, British Rail announced that the railway was losing £40,000 annually and would close on Saturday, May 3rd, 1969. This was a summer bank holiday weekend, which would have been one of the busiest weekends for the railway during its heyday, adding insult to the decision to close it down on a busy bank holiday weekend.

The only staff employed now on the railway are the train crews and a few permanent waymen.

Over the past few months, passenger usage on the railway has been declining steadily. Consequently, all stations appear desolate and neglected, with very little or no maintenance being undertaken. As a result, nature is gradually appearing on the platforms. Hunstanton station, for instance, now has only one platform in use, as all the signage, tracks and footbridge have been removed from the other platforms. Also, the Sandringham Hotel had disappeared from the station site making the site look desolate.

Weeds have grown over the railway and The Sandringham Hotel site, creating a sombre and discouraging atmosphere that is deterring passengers from using the doomed line.

In response to this decline, bus travel has become increasingly prevalent and affordable. This has made it more convenient for local passengers to be dropped off closer to their homes.

In the final months of the railway, an accident occurred in the winter of 1968 when a Hunstanton-bound Dmu collided with a tractor near Snettisham. Fortunately, the Dmu sustained minimal damage and was able to reverse back to King’s Lynn. Thankfully, there were no casualties on this service; it’s been said only four individuals were aboard, three of whom were British Rail staff.

Proving how little this line was used in the winter months.

The last day arrived Saturday, May the 3rd 1969 the final day of the King’s Lynn to Hunstanton railway the once Royal railway.

The last day was said to have been very quiet not many enthusiasts came to see what was once a thriving line that carried many royals to Sandringham and sadly some members of the Royal family to London after they sadly passed at Sandringham and even though many national newspapers headlines were published with.

(The Royal line closure)

The last day remained quiet. Luckily a few enthusiasts turned to to photograph some of the last workings

The majority of train passengers were ordinary residents engaging in their normal Saturday routines. As the day progressed, an increasing number of individuals gathered to witness the final service, the 9:05 pm train from King’s Lynn. The train was heavily crowded, and passengers along the entire line assembled to observe the last operational departure from King’s Lynn. They were acutely aware that this line had a limited lifespan. Hunstanton was also densely populated for the final service, the 10:16 pm train, which bore a wreath at its leading end, adorned with sombre inscriptions.

GOOD BYE HUNSTANTON RAILWAY

1862 TO MAY 3RD 1969

IS THIS REALLY THE END

The Dmu unit Departed Hunstanton hundreds were on the platform to watch the red lights disappear into the darkness for the final time the said 6 car Diesel multiple unit was soon at Heacham where many residents had also gathered on the platforms at Heacham to see the final working that had just passed the ghostly darkness of the carriage sidings where once many excursion carriages sat in the Summer months now just an empty dark over grown sorry-looking state, the service just before Heacham had also passed the old derelict site of the West Norfolk railway Junction to Wells. The train went to Snettisham, Dersingham and Wolferton passing what was once one of the most magnificent railway stations in the whole of the UK with many royal tales from here that could be told one was said to have been one service failed to stop exactly on the red carpet causing a member of the Royal family to walk into a lamp post. Or when the royals returned from shootings they would warm up by the station’s warm coal fires whilst down during the Christmas breaks. A young Prince Charles Now King Charles was also said to have spent some time in the Wolferton signal box as a child watching the trains and helping the signal operator with the levers many years ago.

King Charles would have been 20 when the Railway finally closed.

The last Royal service to depart Wolferton was three years before the closure of the line in 1966

The service then went to North Wootton leaving North Wootton the last service passed through Gaywood where the line once took services off towards Fakenham before stopping for its final time at King’s Lynn.

In early 1971 Hunstanton once again heard the sound of a train, but sadly was the demolition crew ripping up the old line for scrap. In a few weeks, the line demolition team reached Snettisham. Soon after the whole line had disappeared, all that remained were the stations that were sold off the following year.

After 107 years, the King's Lynn Hunstanton Railway was no more.

 Kings Lynn to Hunstanton Railway 3rd October 1862-5th May 1969

At Kings Lynn a new royal exit gate was installed with a royal plaque and gates topped with royal fixtures making King’s Lynn the new royal station where the late Queen Elizabeth II would leave and arrive at the station for her Christmas visit.

Since the Queen passed in 2022 King’s Lynn has had no further Royals use the railway to King’s Lynn


Time Line.


​1846 Henry Le Strange wanted to promote Hunstanton into A holiday resort

27th October 1846, the Lynn Ely Railway opened.

1846-1848 The Lynn to Dereham line opened

On the 1st of August 1861, Parliament granted the Lynn & Hunstanton railway a royal assent.

& The Lynn Hunstanton railway was born.

The first part of the construction began on the 13th of November, 1861.

The line's appointed engineer was John Sutherland Valentine.

Before the railway was finished, chairman Henry Le Strange died of a heart attack before he could see his railway finished.

Ten months after construction started. The railway was finished costing £80.000.

In February 1862, the royal family purchased the Sandringham estate, making Wolferton the closest station to Sandringham.

Wolferton would become known as the Royal Station once opened.

The board of trade inspection took place in September 1862, passing the line for use.

A little just after noon on Friday, October 3rd 1862, the first train steamed into service.

The initial service provided three return trains from Lynn to Hunstanton, leaving Lynn at 9.05.  12.25 and 3.25.  The return journeys left Hunstanton at 10.20, 2.00 and 4.45.

In 1866 The West Norfolk branch from Heacham to Wells next to the sea was opened.

1871 King's Lynn's current station was built.

1874 The Lynn Hunstanton Railway Company and the West Norfolk Railway Company joined to form. The Hunstanton and West Norfolk railway.

1876 The Sandringham Hotel was constructed by the Hunstanton and West Norfolk Railway Company.

1892 Prince Albert Victor the Duke of Clarence passed at Sandringham House and was the first Royal Funeral train from Wolferton

​In 1890 the line was sold to Great Eastern Railways. The line became known as the King's Lynn to Hunstanton Great Eastern Railway.

 As the line got more use, the line was doubled between King's Lynn and Wolferton in 1898.

Between 1884 and 1911, 645 Royal trains used Wolferton station.

1936, King George V's body was taken from Wolferton To London to be laid in state.

1937 The platforms at Hunstanton were extended due to extended traffic.

 Holiday traffic was at its peak, with up to 6 trains an hour arriving in the morning. And they were departing back home at night time in busy periods.

1948 Britain's railways were nationalised.

The 1950s Saw the line's use decline.

1952 The body of King George VI was taken by railway from Wolferton to London.

1952 31st May saw the West Norfolk branch close to passengers.

1953 Saw the West Norfolk branch line damaged between Holkham and Wells due to the 1953 floods.

1958-December Diesel units started operation.

1959 28th February, the M&gnjr closed, stopping many connections to the line from South Lynn.

1960s The government became worried about some of Britain's railway lines making little or no profit.

1960-November saw through London to Hunstanton trains stop running.

Car use increased even more, making the railways less popular.

1961 Dr Richard Beeching was appointed to reshape Britain's railways.

​1963 March 27th, the nicknamed Beechings Axe report was released.

The King's Lynn to Hunstanton line was not on the list for closure and was still seen as profitable.

The line was recommended to be used as a simple unstaffed railway.

1964 Saw The King's Lynn to Hunstanton lines freight withdrawn.

1964 Saw the last remaining part of the West Norfolk branch closed to freight.

1966 The Last royal train left Wolferton.

1966 June the 6th, the line started running as a basic railway.

1967 One whole line was removed, making the single line track the entire route.

King's Lynn used a single-line token.

1967 Hunstanton railway station was made into a single platform.

£25,000 Investment was made in 1967 with half-barrier electric crossing barriers installed at all level crossings.

1967 Saw the Sandringham Hotel at Hunstanton pulled down.

British rail claimed the line was losing £40,000 a year.

Before announcing the closure of the King's Lynn to Hunstanton railway.

British rail offered the Queen the royal waiting rooms at Wolferton.

 She declined. It was agreed

King's Lynn would be Sandringham estate's new local railway station.

Starting the way for the closure of the line.

1969 The last day arrived.

 09:05 pm Saturday the 5th of May, the last train left King's Lynn

10:16 pm The last train returned from Hunstanton to King’s Lynn.

 With a wreath on the front saying.

 Goodbye Hunstanton railway

1862 To May 3rd 1969

Is this really the end?

​In March 1971 the line started to be ripped up for scrap with the stations sold off the next year


The Route


The Hunstanton Branch commenced at King’s Lynn, with the majority of services departing from Platform Number Two.

As the train departs from King’s Lynn, it passes by one of the two signal boxes, an engine shed, and extensive goods sidings. Subsequently, it crosses Tennyson Avenue level crossing and encounters the second signal box, known as King’s Lynn Junction.

The Hunstanton Branch turned left, while the Dereham branch went straight ahead, and the London Ely Cambridge line turned right, after passing King's Lynn Junction signal box.

After going under a later constructed footbridge and passing King Edward VII and Gaywood Park schools, the line headed towards the Gaywood Road crossing. In the railway’s very early days, the railway would have passed a junction that took trains off towards the Lynn Fakenham railway. It then continued past the North Lynn Housing estate constructed in the railways later days.

Once the line passed through North Lynn, it curved slightly to the right, traversing marshland towards North Wootton Station.

North Wootton had a small goods yard and its signal box. The station was set up with two platforms, and the station master’s house was positioned at a right angle to the platforms, similar to Dersingham and Snettisham stations.

Leaving North Wootton station, the Hunstanton-bound trains crossed a level crossing at Gatekeepers Lane before continuing to their next destination, the Royal Station Wolferton. Between North Wootton and Wolferton, the line traversed through marshland, crossing only the River Babingley. As the train approached Wolferton Station, passengers first noticed St. Peter’s Church to the right before crossing the first crossing at Wolferton. They then crossed over a field before passing the second crossing, which featured a magnificent constructed Signal box and railway houses.

The grand station master’s house stood nearby. 

After crossing the level crossing, the train arrived at the Royal Wolferton station. This station stood out from the others on the line, meticulously constructed to the highest standards for a Royal arrival. Wolferton boasts a small goods yard and a two-platformed station, complete with royal waiting rooms and numerous features befitting a Royal visit.

Once leaving the Royal Wolferton station, the line went onto a single-line system the line curved slightly right through heathland, passing the old Wolferton Cliffs and heading towards Dersingham Station. The line now started to curve slightly to the left before going straight into Dersingham Station. Before arriving at Dersingham, passengers would have seen a small goods yard a signal box and a two-platformed station. Once departed Dersingham, the train crossed the station road level crossing with the Alexandra Hotel and the railway workers' houses seen to the right.

The line went straight between Dersingham and Snettisham, crossing over a level crossing at Ingoldisthorpe. Just after Ingoldisthorpe level crossing, the line started to curve to the left, approaching Snettisham Station with a two-platformed station and its signal box.

Once at Snettisham Station, the train left for its next stop, Heacham. Passengers at Snettisham would have seen a goods yard and a large granary as they left Snettisham Station.

Leaving Snettisham Station, the trains carried on a gentle curve shortly before going on a straight trajectory, crossing the Beach road level crossing and following the beach road for a short time before bearing right, leaving the road behind and heading off through a cutting towards Heacham. Here, between Snettisham and Heacham, passengers would have had their first sight of the Norfolk coastline a long way off in the distance.

The line now straightened up and headed off towards Heacham station, passing level land and one of two platelayer huts and through fields, with Ken Hill visible near the distance.

Before arriving at Heacham, the line crossed the South Beach road level crossing. It then approached another level crossing at Heacham North Beach before shortly arriving at Heacham station, here at Heacham there was a passing loop to allow the trains from the single line to pass.

Heacham also had a platform for trains to Wells Next to Sea, the West Norfolk branch.

Trains left Heacham on a straight trajectory to Hunstanton, passing the West Norfolk Junction to the right. Passing through fields, the train came to its next crossing, the South Beach Road crossing at Hunstanton.

The train was shortly going to arrive at Hunstanton station, passing an engine shed, a turntable, and extensive sidings that were used to stable passenger coach trains arriving from all over the country during the railway's heydays.

The train would now arrive at one of Hunstanton's many platforms that housed trains from all over the country, bringing holidaymakers into Hunstanton's seaside town.


The line today


After the line closed, the track was quickly lifted, and the stations were sold off. King’s Lynn station remains open for trains to London King’s Cross.

Beyond King’s Lynn Junction, the old trackbed has been transformed into a walking and cycling path that leads to the former location of Gaywood Crossing. This path continues to the new North Lynn bypass. Lynn Sport, a leisure complex owned by the borough council, was constructed over the old trackbed just after the Gaywood Road crossing, which marked the first significant obstruction on the old trackbed.

Crossing the new A1078 this being a significant obstruction today also for any potential reopening, the trackbed is still clear to North Wootton station, which still exists today and is now used for private purposes.

Leaving North Wootton, the trackbed towards Wolferton is also clear, but it passes through private land, some of which belongs to the Sandringham estate.

Additionally, a crossing cottage at North Wootton is still in use as a private residence and has been expanded over time.

Before reaching Wolferton station, there’s still a crossing cottage that’s now also used as private housing.

Today, Royal Wolferton station and its signal box stand as a testament to history, having been restored to a state that makes it, if not the best, but one of the best preserved historic stations in the United Kingdom.

As we bid farewell to Royal Wolferton, the track bed remains clear, guiding us through heathland before reaching the A149 bypass at Dersingham. This bypass crosses over the old track bed just before Dersingham station.

Dersingham station retains its signal box and platforms, now serving as a builders’ merchant. The old goods yard area has been repurposed for storage. The railway workers’ houses have been converted into private homes. Notably, the station master’s house and the platform canopy have recently undergone renovations.

Beyond Dersingham, the old track bed is mostly clear. The section between Dersingham and Ingoldisthorpe Crossing has recently been upgraded to improve access as a public footpath and cycleway. The Ingoldisthorpe Crossing cottage still remains, while nearby, we find a few artefacts, including what appears to be an old electric box from when electric barriers were installed at the crossing in the past. After the crossing, the track bed remains clear to Snettisham station, although some sections are on private land where walking is not permitted. Despite this, the track bed is clear up to Snettisham station.

Snettisham station still exists, transformed into a private residence that also operates as a bed and breakfast. Both platforms have been preserved, and the signal box has been restored and now resides at Hardingham, on the old Wells to Walsingham line and now part of the Mid Norfolk Railway. Additionally, some non-railway-related structures remain, such as the granary and some houses that once served the railway.

As we depart from Snettisham station, we encounter more construction of houses built over the former railway route. Additionally, the A149 bypass crosses over the line once more, substantially hindering the railway’s reopening prospects. To reopen, the railway would need to cross this bypass twice, which poses a substantial obstacle.

As you depart from Snettisham, there’s still a crossing cottage that’s been converted into a private residence near the Kenhill parking area. The track bed beyond is largely clear and has been used as a farm track in certain sections. Along the way, you can still observe fence posts, a cutting, and a platelayer’s hut.

When you reach Heacham, you’ll find another platelayer’s hut, but it’s in a rather dilapidated state. The railway track bed is clear up to the crossing at South Beach Road, which runs parallel to a caravan park called Long Acres. Notably, the crossing cottage at South Beach Road remains and has been extended.

After South Beach Road, the railway track has been completely covered by Pioneer Caravan Park. Additionally, a house near the Heacham Station site blocks off the old track bed.

Heacham, the former railway station, now serves as a private residence and a bed and breakfast. The station’s platforms have been shortened to accommodate the construction of a housing estate. Interestingly, an old British railway Mk1 carriage is located on the grounds, offering guests the opportunity to stay in it as a unique holiday accommodation.

As we depart from Heacham station, a new housing estate has been constructed over the track bed near the West Norfolk Junction, which used to take trains off to Wells. The junction’s track bed is still visible and leads towards Wells. Beyond the West Norfolk branch, the track bed is clear as it continues towards the final station, Hunstanton.

There’s a caravan park called Searles located by the track bed, but the original track bed has been preserved and now serves as emergency access roads to the holiday site.

After Searles, the crossing cottage remains near the former location of Hunstanton station. Subsequently, an Anglian water treatment plant was built over the former track bed, along with the Hunny Stone public house. These developments have made it highly unlikely that a smaller station could be constructed in this area, thereby eliminating any possibility of the line reopening.

Approaching Hunstanton station site, some remnants of the old railway remain. A coach park now occupies parts of the former sidings, and a manhole cover with LNER markings stands as the only visible trace of the railway. A small section of concrete floor, possibly part of an old engine shed, also hints at the station’s past.

Beyond the coach park, a new housing development has been built on the former station site, occupying nearly half of what was once a council-owned car park.

To make way for this development, an old buffer built into a wall was demolished.

The rest of the old station site is now a car park, and the former Sandringham Hotel, which was demolished before the railway closed, the site has been repurposed into a shop. The railway station’s refreshment room, now known as the Waterside Bar, has remained unchanged over the years on the outside. and still operates as a public house.

In the car park, the old coal shed remains and has been repurposed into a memorial of the railway with an old semaphore signal and a small piece of railway track as a memorial.

As construction continues along the track bed and the Hunstanton station site, hopes for reopening the line are looking impossible.


I would like to express my gratitude to Wikipedia, the Royal Wolferton website, and particularly to Stanley C. Jenkins and the Oakwood Press for their invaluable assistance in providing historical information used to create this webpage.

I extend my deepest appreciation to everyone who has contributed to this project.

For more information, please visit the Oakwood Press book by Lynn Hunstanton, available for purchase at most leading book stores.


MY GOOGLE MAPS COVERAGE



Kings Lynn to Hunstanton Railway

3rd October 1862 - 5th May 1969


Please click below for part one

A page dedicated to the Lynn avoiding line which took the Lynn Fakenham services at first off the Hunstanton line during the Lynn Fakenham railways early days can be found below.